PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for opinions about pilot career
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2015, 07:46
Aspira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for opinions about pilot career

Hi guys,
I'm 22 years old and wanting to be a pilot for a long while, when I was 16 years old. Recently I have applied for the cathay cadet scheme but failed at stage 1b. I was reflecting on what I've done wrong during the interview and I realized what I've done wrong was that my university grades were soso and I thought the interview was more of the technical side and less of the knowledge about company background. To be honest, I graduated with a degree that I am not interested in. It turned out that for stage 1b, they focused very much on how well you know about the company and I didn't get asked anything technical, other than the question "why did we order A350". I was disappointed because the stuff I prepared got no use. Right now I can reapply after a year..... Frankly speaking, a year is a year. I can do a lot during this year, and there's no guarantee that I can succeed after a year too.

Right now I'm thinking about obtaining my licenses overseas in Canada since I'm a canadian. I will also reapply again after a year and prove to them with my flying and written exams that although my university grades aren't great, I do not have any studying difficulties and I can do well should I really have passion for the career. It is okay if they expect from me more after I have my flying experience. I'm very willing to be committed to this career. But obviously it's going to cost me quite a bit because flying is expensive. I have a bit of savings but I also have to work and fly at the same time if I choose this path. I want to ask for advice from pilots.. I understand that getting my licenses doesn't' guarantee a job position in the future, but I want to know how long it takes to obtain different licenses and how you guys were settled with a career in aviation, from the beginning to now?

Many thanks