PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport and aviation security - Senate Inquiry
Old 14th Jan 2015, 00:35
aroa

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
ASICK...the Aus Aviation Inconvenience So-so "security" Card

Apart from being a bureaucratic schemmozzle..to put it politely, I would posit that the costs of administering the damn thing outweigh any security benefit. Anyone can commit a terrorist act with or without an ASIC. You might as well run full checks on everyone in the country.

It was a "better be seen to be doing something" brain snap/reaction post 9/11.

During a recent social visit from the AFP, the card I was handed stated on the back... You are the eyes and ears of your local airport ..etc etc. Que??
You are 13 years too late, says I Why is that says the AFP chappie.
This is the same statement the US government made to all aviationists 13 YEARS ago...and they didn't see all pilots as "security threats" that must have a criminal history check and be required to buy a card to prove it.

The agencies concerned with security could quietly run checks on all pilots as per the licence list and find out if there are any "suss" for their own requirements. And they could run checks on all truck drivers as well, or plumbers too, for all that matter.
Just because someone gets a clearance card today, doesnt mean that someone wont do something silly tomorrow or next week.

And if you think the issuing agency is another of those unaccountable bureacrazies ...you are right. But YOU have no rights.!

A colleague who had an ASIC issued 2 years ago, on recent renewal application, got a knock-back.

The letter had an undecipherable scribble "signature" and NO name, stating that because of his past history ..( he was a naughty boy as a teenager, {werent we all},, 35 years ago !!).. NO ASIC ...and because his PPL is a "security sensitive certificate '...he must NOT even taxi his pvt aeroplane, let alone fly it. FFS
Who signed this letter?... you cant know.
What is the reason for the knock-back?...no reason given.

After a torrid phone call where he suggested a court might be the go, he was asked to send a Stat Dec that he had no traffic infringements etc. over the past 2 years.
Is this the new "self -check" method ??? Discount on the card cost if you do it yourself?
The ASIC was promised to be forthcoming by Xmas/New Year. No show.
When queried.."Ah, there's been a complaint* made against you"
Funny..no mention of that in the first place.
What is this complaint ? You cant know !
And who is this complaint from? You cant know ?
How to defend myself from a malicious or false complaint then? Que ?

Surely the victim should be the first to know the nature of the complaint and be given the opportunity for a countervaiing view.
Ah ..but this is the land of JustArse not Justice.
Mention of court again...and presto, advice by email is that the ASIC is on the way.

* the complainant, we suspect is a well know "fruit loop" in the CNS CAsA office. My colleague had visited him recently to complain about the quality of maintenance on a recent annual. The CAsA person was not interested in that issue but castigated him for even making the complaint about that workshop in the first place. When drugs got a mention, CAsA called in the AFP.
So there is corruption and cronyism, and there is also protectionism.
And its alive and well in FN Q. "safety" my ar$e.

And "security"..what a sick and costly joke