PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2015, 21:14
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...great confidence builder.

Indeed it is, John, interesting to know you've seen it in action too. I agree completely with the approach taken...gentle encouragement and patter.

I think there is far less to the differences between small, single/no engine types and large transports than may be generally assumed. Most can quickly learn the need for staying ahead of the aircraft , whether it is a half-mile or six miles - the learning of the "art" comes together in all-of-a-sudden ways by plateaus so to speak, doesn't it?

In fact I will go out on a limb and say that this approach can make a 250hr pilot an able and keen learner who goes on to become a very competent aviator.

I don't think there's more to the automation "problem" than the re-introduction of such basic manoeuvres. Automation is then relegated to serving the pilot, and when it goes pear-shaped taking over becomes a non-event.

And, it would accomplish that second purpose as well - identifying those who were (currently) way out of their depth so that they could either benefit from further training or help identify that subtle place that may say, "this isn't for me".