PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Trail to Nellis.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2015, 06:51
BEagle

Received 322 Likes on 115 Posts
That's a better copy of the 4 Cougars refuelling from the Tradewind than I've seen before, GreenKnight121, thanks for posting it and the links.

The RAF didn't attempt simultaneous refuelling of 3 aircraft from the VC10K - wing clearance would have been an issue as would the slower formation movement of 3 aircraft. For the air engineer to monitor 3 receivers on 2 different systems would have been difficult even if the transfer system itself could have coped.

Back to the Lajes-Bermuda trail, I gather that the 90 min requirement led to a track some 9% longer than great circle. Refuelling to less than full, a high arrival fuel at Bermuda, the slow Typhoon onload rate and single hose compatibility would certainly have required more brackets than were used historically - even without the significant headwinds on part of the route.

Is the RAF still using the same interval between sub-brackets for single hose as it does for two hoses? Even though there's far less receiver movement? Another planning system uses 3 min between sub-brackets for a 2 hose plan, but 2 min for a single hose plan - which is rather more logical, in my opinion.