PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding over Easter
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 19:36
Heady1977

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts about the best place to go for this? I would prefer a place a bit away from the home counties where we can stay at/close to the airfield during the days the course lasts (week?).
Although we are in London, there are no real constraints on where we can go - so any suggestions are welcomed.
Most of the (well established / larger) Gliding Clubs have some form of accommodation attached to the Club on the airfield. A lot of these Gliding Clubs with accommodation are also away from large population centers.

Gliding Club accommodation will never win any stars but is usually adequate.

Depending on your tastes - you could go for star level accommodation in a nearby town and commute a little or you could stay on-airfield which may be an option if you wish to get away from the rat-race and connect with family.

The two Gliding Clubs that I have personally flown at with accommodation are Lasham (near Alton, Hampshire) & Long Mynd (near Church Stretton, Shropshire).
Midland Gliding Club on the Long Mynd
Lasham Gliding Society: The home of gliding and sailplanes in the south East of England.

The accommodation at Long Mynd is a few multi-bunk rooms and some single rooms. It was bring your own sheets/blankets/sleeping bags last time I used it. The Long Mynd Club members ran the kitchen for lunch/dinner and the bar was run via honesty. Church Stretton to the airfield is only about a 10min drive if you wish to stay in town and commute. The sunset/sunrise views from the Long Mynd club house can be spectacular. Also a great place for country walks if so inclined.

The accommodation at Lasham is quite a few small single rooms, double rooms and (I think) one family room. Bed linen was supplied last time I used it. The on-site bar and restaurant are professionally run and there are three very good pubs & restaurants close by. Basingstoke is about a 10min drive away and Alton is about a 10min drive away if you wish to stay in town and commute. The airfield is largish and has a unique mix of occasional large jets and gliders. Shopping/entertainment can be found in Basingstoke and Alton when rain stops play.

Shenington, Aston Down or Nympsfield I have not personally flown from - although I suspect that their members will be able to provide the relevant detail either on here or if you ring them.

I'm not quite sure what to expect to be able to achieve over a short week with maybe 2-3 flights a day on average if we're lucky? Solo? Maybe me as existing SEP PPL, but her as a complete novice? Some short dual XC as a function of weather?
This was a reply I wrote some time ago regarding my experience which may answer your question.
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...ml#post8140520

Last edited by Heady1977; 12th Jan 2015 at 19:56. Reason: Added PPRUNE link.