PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode S IAS readout
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 17:42
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I please re-open the debate on the new Boeing B738 QRH for this scenario. I'm teaching this, or trying to, and am very perplexed.

A.N.C was always my creed, and thus was also the philosophy that it is necessary to have a rudimentary knowledge of the various parameters for various phases of flight at various levels. (It is only in recent models that nice amber flags are shown. Previously it was your own brain.) When in doubt level the a/c and apply a suitable amount of thrust; cross check all sources of speed information, and don't fall out of the sky.

The 'IAS disagree' QRH is not memory/recall and it tells you to go to the 'Airspeed Unreliable' checklist which begins with various Memory/Recall actions. (how daft its that sequence). You then proceed with various items and at No.9 you cross check the 3 primary & secondary speed instruments. It could be that the PF has been handling the a/c all this time with the faulty displays. Prior to this, trying to keep the a/c level under ATC instruction e.g. lowish level & 210-250kts you are instructed via QRH to select 4 degrees nose up & 75% N1. This causes the a/c to climb, accelerate and ATC to shout at you. Meanwhile you still haven't conducted the investigation to find out which is the correct display.

Am I missing something here or has immediate A.N.C. and THEN start the investigation been thrown into the trash?

I'd always been taught the QRH is addressed once the a/c is under control; in most cases. Following these latest instructions I wonder if the a/c is really under control at the start of QRH. I feel this change in procedure needs a little more thinking about.