PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 17:18
Pom Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The policemen seem to be getting younger

Funny how when you are 19 the reverse seems true.
Thanks Brian 48nav for doing a bit of research. Bill Porter in charge of our course seemed to be much older than the 15 year age difference.
Fred Harris retired about April '58, he was quite a character and considered any thing that could fly faster than a Sunderland to be inheritably dangerous, so much so that he refused the offer a Vampire flight to experience jet travel. One evening when he was my instructor on a Rebeca babs detail, he started beating the nav. table like a demented dervish. I looked askingly at him and he flipped my intercom switch to radio compass for me to be deafened by a Gene Kruppa drum solo. That isn't the only memory of that detail, the procedure was to go out to Bembridge turn and come back to Thorney on the eureka bit followed by the babs procedure and repeat for 2 hours or more. However as the evening progressed the turning point became Newport, Ventnor even St Catherine's Point and the rate of turn decreased more and more. Eventually Fred enquired of our sergeant pilot what was going on to be told "They say there's a nudist colony down here somewhere and I'm going to find it".