PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilot with eye floaters, FOV a solution ?
Old 12th Jan 2015, 13:30
BB747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my floaters are severe ? Well that's a good question, not severe enough to impair my vision but severe enough to bother me when I am outside. I have hundreds in both eyes, all shapes but mostly cristal clear (Dots, lines, coweb, waves, etc... ) and 90% of my floaters don't bother me anymore, I got used to them but new ones appeared lately and they are placed somewhere which really annoy me but luckily they are away from my centre of vision.

I know that it will never improve but get worse and worse, so if I can still see clearly now it may not be the case in few years so I need to find a solution. The only solution available today is the Floater Only Vitrectomy, this surgery gets more and more common with most of the time good results, but is it allowed for airline pilots ?

I am sure I am not the only pilot with bad eye floaters, and maybe someone out there had a surgery and got his class 1 back. I know that the simplest way to answer my question would be to ask an AME but honestly I don't want to risk it. So if someone can help me I would really appreciate

Have a good day everyone