PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 12:31
worrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do think that mindset plays a significant part. A glider pilot runs out of options when the lift runs out and a landing becomes inevitable. The powered pilot continues to have options right down to the ground and there is a slow degradation to the number of options. Vis diminishes slowly, just fly another 100' lower etc. At some point the pilot needs to take a firm decision and actively switch from "flying in poor conditions" to "find a place to land". How do we train for this? For example, the precautionary landing training I had included flying past at 500' and 100' to assess the field before making an approach. But the training didn't include the decision to switch from flying to landing. And as I sit in my comfy chair, with a cup of coffee in hand, I can imagine being just a few miles from an airfield, flying under a 1500' cloudbase. Do I fly on or do I try to find a field, circle it a couple of times and make the best fist of it I can? And then the clouds are forming a little lower and it's now 1000' - fly on or land? And visibility is reducing but I can see OK at 800'...

Even sitting here in warm comfort it's not a decision I welcome and I suspect few of us would; but we all know that proper planning prevents poor performance. Anyone got a plan?