PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA $1,000 Useless Compass Check
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 07:30
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a maintainer, maintenance never causes defects. However, an objective analysis of the data shows that maintenance not only sometimes causes defects, but that more maintenance more often always causes more defects.

Can you point me to a study of this? So you are saying I shouldn't get my car serviced? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Next time I see a compass without (read that nil) any fluid. Should I not touch it in case I create more issues ?

What caused the defects?
In my experience age , Storing aircraft outside in the sun , lack of use, rough operations. Not every aircraft is a cherished piece of machinery lucky to do its 100hrs annually with a single pilot. Most I work on fly there asses off, things break and wear.

An old operator once told me that you should leave a pilot with one aircraft. If you swap them around they find defects. If left they are accustomed to the faults they live with them. It is akin to a dripping tap in your house.

Psychology of pilots is fascinating. The Garmin trainer pointed out Pavlovian responses in pilots once . Since then I always chuckle when I see them displayed.