PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First woman to command an RAF FJ sqn
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 06:45
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still, until a few years ago this probably wouldn't have been a talking point and whole generations have gone through command opportunities without having enjoyed the privilege of combat.
I am one of those. Started at "Sleaford Tech" in '72, flew Harriers in RAFG, Tornado GRs in UK and RAFG, left at 38/16 and joined the airline industry. Tally of gongs: 0. No war to go to, you see. Missed the Falklands because war ended before being posted for a Harrier refresher and not recalled from arduous airline duties to take part in GW1.

Yes, congratulations Roger '2-gong' Elliot. Is he moving them single-handedly, or getting some other buggers to do it for him?
When I was on 3(F) in the late 70s we had a new GLO join us, lovely chap, Major in the Green Howards. While being shown around the HAS site by a couple of us he spotted the boss's name on the side of a jet. GLO: "Does the Wing Commander fly? Us: "Yes" GLO: "Really? I thought he'd have a competent NCO to do that for him". Pongoes!

Don't know about FJs, but at one time the airline I worked for had more female pilots than any other in UK, (perhaps in the world?). In my experience there was no such thing as a mediocre one. They were either very, very good (the vast majority), or terrible.
That's broadly my experience of training female pilots in the airline I currently work for although I wouldn't use the word "terrible", just weak. The sad thing is that so few become trainers or managers.

Serious question: Is Wg Cdr Nikki likely to be the last Nav who commands an FJ squadron?

Last edited by Wingswinger; 12th Jan 2015 at 09:34.