PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Virgin Blue Ever Operate Internationally?
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 12:19
Anti Skid On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh was a tangled mess I wove!

OK - lets try this again. I never said EK would do JNB - PER - AKL - what I meant was it would make sense if EK did DBX - PER - AKL, as this is a route that is not currently offered - it would suit the backpackers and also the PER - AKL would possibly allow a quick connection to JNB with SAA.

EK are, according to info. here, planning to do AKL (from DBX) WITHOUT a tech stop, hence why I questioned the news re. them planning to operate trans-Tasman (and possibly be a competitor against Virgin). Going back to earlier too, my feelings are that Virgin may consider trans-Tasman, but won't do long haul - it just doesn't fit the business model.

Added on edit...
First A340-500's arrive in September and start Syd in October. As we receive more (about 2 a month) we will add new destinations. New York and San Fran are confirmed. Hot rumor here is that a big announcement will be forthcoming at the Paris air show. We need two aircraft to service any one destination with daily frequency so expect sizable order.
New destinations for the 340 include Bne and Mel to compete with everybody elses one stop to Europe. Akl is possibly soon, as Ek Holidays have been pushing NZ in their brochures for about a year. Seems like that has in the past led to a new destination.

and in a seperate PM

The whole point of the 340-500 is to avoid the tech stop. Range is 16hrs+.