PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 11th Jan 2015, 18:14
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinbird
Yes, I'm reading the wreckage as a flat impact with wings (+- 15 degrees) of level and low forward speed. This corresponds to a flat spin.

One ominous aspect of flat spins is the eyeballs out g that results from the rotation. This would rapidly disable the crew, particularly if they did not have their shoulder harness locked.

How to get into a flat spin? Not hard once you get real slow. Compressor stall one engine while at high power and high AOA.
You don't need a compressor stall - high AOA and a small input to the rudder can put you into a spin relatively quickly. It was the standard method to enter a spin way back. Do it a fraction before the stall and you can have max lift on one wing and the other stalled. I would think that one of the Normal Law protections would stop you getting there unless it was all tied up with an overspeed protection because of a sudden increase in OAT.

I wonder if we are getting to a point where test pilots are going to be required to test departures from the flight envelope to see how the aircraft behaves and how to get it back? Otherwise a LOC for whatever reason that puts the aircraft immediately out of the envelope requires the crew involved to become test pilot capable in seconds.