PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former RAF Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2015, 16:33
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwalhx
Do you believe that the North of England could sustain two Intercontinental airports or do you see Yorkshire International supplanting Manchester?

It does in part read that your business plan is the above, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would also comment that I am not convinced that Church Fenton would be easier for me from Calderdale than Manchester.

Having worked at Leeds/Bradford for a few years I am well aware of the pitfalls but it serves a need and is now doing it pretty well.
I did say I'd leave it but you know me..

I have always stated that MAN would never be overtaken by an airport in Yorkshire. The population of the North West is 7 million ish but there is need for a suitable airport in Yorkshire, just as in Scotland there is a decent airport at Glasgow and Edinburgh. The population of Yorkshire is much more than these two cities combined. Yeadon does serve a need but absolutely nowhere near well enough. MAN does 22 million passengers and Yeadon a shade over 3. That is utterly ridiculous when you compare the comparative sizes of the two conurbations either side of the pennines. This is purely down to Yeadon's location and airfield failings. To find out the relative distance and times of getting from Halifax to MAN and Tadcaster using car and train put it into google. Tadcaster is good equivalent to church fenton assuming the B road is upgraded. Or you could just put Halifax to church fenton but be aware this time will reduce with an upgraded connection to church fenton.