PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2015, 11:57
GavinC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminals
Discussion on another forum suggested that T2 expansion would cater for a lot of capacity lost during construction. A T2-T1 link would allow for passengers to check-in at T2 but depart from T1 whilst a substantial part of T1 was out of action (all bar the piers and the lounge).

One would have thought that bussing onto remotes would be required at some point mind. Interesting that design discussion indicated the majority of the new Terminal to replace T1 and T3 would be on the space currently occupied by car parking so a lot of work could be done without 'significant' impact on operations.

The Station
It's wonderful to think that MAN will have a station with SIX platforms shortly. It's not that long since it was built. And of course it also now has the bus stops and coach stops.

Next for The Station will be some re-configuration to add more shops and to allow for a logical route over to Airport City. One would assume that with the new Terminal development and the Airport City works that eventually that part of the airport campus will eventually be less cluttered with illogical roads and will hopefully feel more like the heart of overall campus area catering for workers and passengers alike.

As a slight aside, I'm travelling from Piccadilly to MAN during the total closure. I have the option of a complete rail replacement from Picc to MAN replacing the Transpennine which will terminate at MAN or a rail replacement from Heald Green as Northern Trains will instead route to Wilmslow. Both are listed as 40 minutes which gives a lot of scope but then they don't want passengers missing flights. I'm not sure which one will be best though as I'm going at around 6pm so do I go direct but on a coach that might get stuck in traffic or take the traffic free train to Heald Green but have to change onto the coach from there. There's also the tram potentially as well. Decisions, decisions....