PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanky resumes
Thread: Wanky resumes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 08:41
Jamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LETHAL WEAPON:

Yep, 30 pages - that's what 25 years in the workforce and a raft of abbreviations after your name will get you.....but like I said, prospectives get a Resume, and only those who specifically ask would get a CV.

If I am considering employing someone, the Resume & selection criteria gives me the highlights to form a shortlist, then those on the shortlist get to submit a CV and attend an interview. When I talk to them, I focus on the areas in the CV that are applicable to the position, but also on any areas that are interesting, unlikely, or imply/demonstrate an ability to progress.

Anyone seen the Simpsons episode where Marge gets a job at the Power Plant? Smithers shows her into the control room and says "Its all yours", she asks "But how do I operate it?"; he chuckles and replies "But Ms Simpson, according to your resume you DESIGNED this machine!".

Several TAFEs and personal consultancies run courses on how to write Resumes & CVs; it is an interesting subject. One hint for anyone sending Resumes out - do yourself a BIG favour and aviod the cellosheen envelope folders, the fully laminated bindings and the multi-colour off-set printing; just a simple, well laid out, 10-12pt font, 1 1/2 line break, black on white, stapled in the top left corner.

Cheers!