PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air traffic controller - Opened Letter- student Job seeker
Old 10th Jan 2015, 08:44
confused atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Licence validity
The longer you go after leaving the training centre you will need to do some form of assessment of needs before you could start unit training.
AND
If you do not get a job within 4 year's your licence is effectively useless.

ATCO Shortage.
There are regular stories in the media about shortages of ATCO's/Pilots/Engineers depending on who is spinning at the time.
A lot of the articles are by vested interests and often have no relationship to the actual situation.

The single sky program forecasted that traffic would grow by incredible amounts.
This never happened.
In fact traffic went the other way and is only now showing signs of recovery.

Most ANSP's plan their staffing well in advance and schedule training/recruitment to match.
New technologies and other stuff mean that there is not likely to be any significant recruitment any time soon.

Direct entry of currently rated controllers is not that common and the Middle east typically looks for 5 years experience before it will consider you.

There will always be exceptions but they are that and do not prove the rule.

I fear that you may have bought the hype and wish you the best in your search.

About any ANSP admitting this thats not true as I have it personally in my mail inbox
I am amazed that any one would admit publicly that they had a bad experience with direct entry ATCO's. Usually they say nothing but never hire anyone that way again.