PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 washup from May 2004 crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2015, 06:05
bush pelican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Queensland Court rules against Robinson

I guess we all don't know what we don't know Owen. That is certainly demonstrated in the case of The RHC Maintenance Manual and the comments you and your 'Gingerbeers' are making.

The torque required on the R22 flexplate NAS fasteneres is 240"lbs. no more, no less. Would you like to take a guess as to what torque would be required on these fasteners for them to feel 'tight'? 100"lbs? 50"lbs?
Amazingly it is only 1-3"lbs, depending on whether the belts are fully engaged or disengaged. So tell me, without using a spanner, how do you know they are tight?

So you look at the plate, feel the fasteners, yeh bewdy, "no cracks, nuts tight", touch up the torque stripes (if you're lucky), and shes good. Don't tell me that's not what you do, because after looking at a lots of operational R22s some just out of maintenance, (probably some of yours), and talking to some honest CEs, that's a fact.

Hundreds of photographs were taken to demonstrate the complete uselessness of torque stripe, and it was found that the average LAME knew SFA about how torque stripe should be applied, what their limitations were, and what the real significance of what they were looking at might be. Military and other experts in the helicopter field were adamant that torque stripe was useless for the purposes the RHC was advocating it be used for.

I can tell you, if you want to confirm the fact that the average LAME servicing helicopters is mentally challenged, then keep arguing the way you are. But save your $s for that multimillion $ law suit that will come your way if you don't take notice of these findings, and do more than just run your eyes and fingers over an R22 (or 44) flexplate, when you do your 100hrly inspections. You will be held accountable.

http://209.203.9.244/resource%20cent.../2010/8777.pdf

BP

Last edited by bush pelican; 10th Jan 2015 at 06:27. Reason: additional info