PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple Hamsterwheel
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2015, 13:37
Nige321

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Googls's Android might be an 'open' architecture but their business model makes Apple's look like a paragon of virtue.

Google exists to collect data on you and your lifestyle, and sell it - the whole business revolves round advertising.

Apple exists to make great products AND yes, make a profit. It's that simple. Cheesy? Yes, but that's it.

Who was it who said "with Google, you aren't the customer, you're the product"?

If you don't like Apple's business model, products, prices, OSX, iOS or any other part of them, DON'T BUY THEM!

I once asked for assistance on this forum about a computer issue. I never bother now because the threads always seem to get hijacked by an Apple salesman who cannot tolerate the existence of any other manufacturer's product.
Funny, the OP appears to be an Android salesman who cannot tolerate the existence of any other manufacturers product...

on a PC or Mac or Linux box I can write code to shut it down, change the screen resolution, change the volume, change what the hardware buttons do, etc. etc.
An excellent example of why Apple's iOS has made huge inroads into many corporate and vertical markets, while Android hasn't...

The walled garden was adopted by Apple because, traditionally, applications for mobile devices were expensive, difficult to find, insecure and generally of poor quality. Apple wanted an environment where applications were easy to find, easy to purchase, easy to install and showcased the device. In order to combat security problems and increase buyer confidence, Apple chose a curated store. By definition therefore, Apple's approach is about control.

However, the restrictions on marking memory as executable (thus preventing JIT or compilers from working), is purely a security issue. The point is to try and prevent a third-party from finding and exploiting security holes in apps that will allow unfettered native code execution. And, you'll notice that the combination of a walled garden and various security mechanisms have resulted in a much, much, much more secure experience for iOS devices then for Android devices.