PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 8th Jan 2015, 22:08
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I think Propduffer was being a bit irreverent...

On the glider pilot /updraught debate it has been my experience that when entering a thermal/updraught things in practice are not necessarily what one might imagine, as far as threat of a stall is concerned.

Because there is a net addition of energy to the aircraft 's frame of reference by buoyant rising warm air airstream, equivalent to an accelerated state, there is little or no danger of stalling... and leaving the pitch state and trim alone is a very reasonable course of action.*

...with the proviso on freedom of altitude change**

The danger is having net aircaft energy (PE + KE) reduced... classic wrong end of windshear
or entering downdraught - what a glider or low wing loading pilot would call 'going over the falls'.
that's when we need to stick forward and keep the a/c flying.

... it is unfortunate that these basic micrometeorology principles seem a world apart from a modern pilots training or experience.

and I think a point worth thinking through.

On another tack... I am reflecting on any part the Maint. Tech may have played if in the cockpit.

** in CB weather / ITCZ regions why are aircraft being vectored with no regard
for prevailing or likely weather/upset. Common sense would dictate much wider margins
And altitude freedoms ?

Last edited by HarryMann; 8th Jan 2015 at 22:45.