PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC-8 engine starter buttons
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 20:30
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edetroit;

The pushbotton itself is also a light - the button illuminates when activated, (held in magnetically); when it pops out, the light extinguishes.

The series I flew had most of the system controls up front - the electrical & fuel control panels were on the back panels - the F/O's seat rails were long enough for him, (there were no "her's" back then), to parallel the generators at start-up and run the fuel panel during flight. It was intended to be the first "two-pilot" transport aircraft but never got quite that far. Our '8's had Second Officers who were licensed pilots on the seniority list- we never had FE's.

We did have Nav's though...used Loran-C & Astro, using a bubble-sextant...then later, Doppler. When INS, (not IRS) came in, our Navs were all given the opporunity to obtain licenses and join the pilot seniority list - many were successful.

The '63's I flew had start switches - they were spring-loaded - one had to hold the switch in the forward position - it was released at 35%N2. If you had a wet start, you could dry-motor the engine this way to clear it and give it time to drain before trying again. I've forgotten the N2 speed at which the HP cocks, (fuel control levers) were turned on. One pushed the button in the center of the control down, and brought it up, (forward) - releasing the button when it was fully forward locked the control in that position -the four of them were just behind the throttles.

The RR Conway-equipped series were full-throttle engines - takeoff EPR was typically 2.4 or so. The Pratts were set by EPR from a table. We re-engined the 61's & 63's with GE CFM56s later on, as freighters.

Never flew the '10...flew the '9, then the B727, Lockheed L1011, B767 then all the Airbussi...