PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you do if...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 18:12
150 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my first flight post qualification (!) I lost radio en route to Cambridge. Not the busiest airport in the world but busy enough.

Squawking 7600 wasn't an option as it was a total electrical failure - turned out to be a broken alternator. I suspect I hadn't been doing enough of the E in FREDA.

I'd been talking to the local military airfield prior to this, was a little way from Cambridge. After aviating and navigating I switched all electrics off to see if I could get any more juice out of the battery. Sure enough after five minutes I switched just the radio on and got a live display.

I called the military frequency as a Mayday and told them I planned to carry on to Cambridge if they could call ahead and get me clearance. Once there I had just enough juice in the battery to get a partial radio transmission out but it cut before I heard their full reply. However, after seeing that the circuit was obviously clear I went in anyway, fast - partly to get out of anyone's way and partly as I had no flaps. They were expecting me as the 'Follow Me'/Rescue truck was on the side of the runway - apparently there were green light signals from the Tower but I wasn't looking for them.

With hindsight and more experience I wouldn't now call Mayday in this situation but after speaking with ATC at Cambridge and the military they were OK with how I'd handled it.