PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catastrophic structural failure
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 00:12
Dude~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, I know a CAP10B part owner in France, who, having reached a certain age, has completely stopped flying his CAP due to the aggressive flying by his co-owners. I used to go up with them and one guy, an ex Jaguar pilot used to load on 5 or 6g very sharply, at low level, thus rendering our parchutes virtually useless should the wing have folded. I remember one time spinning quite low, the engine quit (when we took off the low fuel lights were on), so he dived vertically at 180kts (near Vne?) pumping the throttle and the prop just turned enought to restart. Then he pulled out over the field very low and very very fast. I have to admit it was fun at the time, but I wouldn't do it again although that has more to do with the aircraft than the pilot, who happened to be exceptionally skilled. We once did 8 landings 0.3 by doing light bulb shaped 180 turn backs at about 80 ft at each end of the runway (nill wind of course).

Good old remote French airfield, no authorities, no rules, no radio and virtually no witnessess!

Sorry babbling on like that...!