PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in rough weather
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 09:05
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't think so. It was, as I recall, Chris Rollings with a young lady tug pilot at Aboyne.

Any glider flying at Aboyne, where wave is encountered when the wind is North, West, or Southerly, will be equipped with oxygen tanks and masks and canulas, and usually if it is an expedition of visiting gliding pilots, careful supervision and advice. The tug pilot has to be tops at the job. Often at Aboyne the windsocks are pointing opposite ways at either end of the runway.
The airtow can be VERY VERY EXCITING, through the rotor. But the tuggie had the experience to tow me to the right spot on a good day, and over Balmoral I found the upwind primary wave, and that was it for me! back and forth in the smooth strong lift, and when they called me on the radio I was over the moon! so made jolly sure I was high enough for the claim, and then did a bit of sightseeing. Could see all three bodies of water, up North, the North Sea, and something else down South....

And good job I was carrying TWO barographs! one was the old tick tock needle scratching the line on the smoked paper, the other the new sort - which FAILED TO MARK WHERE I CAME OFF TOW! ! ! But the British Gliding Association was happy with the old smoky, so there you go. Old technology is sometimes the best, especially if you fail to dip a bit after release to mark that event.