PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2003, 00:07
Banggearo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JP

You keep mentioning the fact that that they were 1/4 mile right of track and that the ground was 500' higher here than where they thought they were. I, like Pulse1, would like to know if you seriously believe that the crew made a concious decision to only climb to clear the ground in front of them and not the ground 1/4 mile to the right of them. I would quite happily wager my mortgage on the fact that if I asked every military pilot in the Air Force, would you be happy to do this, they would to a man say no, even in my aircraft with 4 IRUs, 2 GPS and a Mission Computer to mix the whole lot together, giving me an error of 6 Yds, I would not fly under those conditions. You quite rightly state that time and time again crews have sadly made blatant errors in time of stress and perhaps this crew did in fact formulate this as a reasonable plan of action, despite the fact that sitting here in the cold light of day, it would seem a foolhardy and reckless thing to do. However, and here is the central theme again, where is your proof of this? We do not have to prove what happened to quash the verdict, the RAF does have to prove, without any doubt, that the crew made this exact decision that you have talked about.