PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 08:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rog

we do not know so many things about this crash! What was so urgent about the trip that the pilot even got out of bed to fly on such a day especially with his family? Surely not a sight seeing trip?

We don't know what brought him down? was he flying IMC/ IFR rules and was forced down by some other problem?

Did he think he was better more capable than he was? What was his mindset?

its strange I was on a trip just before christmas me and the co pilot were on the ground for a couple of days in the french Alps and my co pilot wanted to Ski
A lack of low level snow meant a high resort which only had reds or blacks.

my co pilot asked if I was up to skiing reds or blacks?" Yea Yea of course I am bar the fact that I only took up skiing 10 years ago and had not skied for 4 years.
So yes I got down with wide turns and occasional stops some intentional others not while seeing my co pilot drop almost vertically down the slopes arriving at the bottom by the time I had got a 1/3 rd down but yes technically I was skiing reds and blacks.

Amongst pilots especially private pilots there is a huge variance in ability and sadly many have less ability than they claim or believe.

There will always be pilots who can manage conditions like that even in a piston single and then there are those who think they can and then those who get into those conditions inadvertently or allow themselves to be put into conditions like that by some outside pressures.

Why this pilot was flying that day who knows? there are still too many questions to be answered but the outcome is very sad

Pace