PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA $1,000 Useless Compass Check
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 03:59
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
CASA $1,000 Useless Compass Check

Readers of this site may remember years ago when I complained about AD Instrument 8 which was an Airworthiness Directive that required routine checks on things like the airspeed indicator, the compass and the fuel gauge.

I started a campaign to remove this AD and it was agreed by CASA that only items required in other leading aviation countries would be put over to a CAO.

CASA issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making and from what I can remember it had lots of submissions from the avionics industry that makes money from these ridiculous checks.

I understand we now have CAO 100.5 which results in some of the most onerous and expensive checks in the world, including every twenty-four months a compass check on privately-registered helicopters.

You can’t just tow a helicopter to do a compass check – you actually have to hover it. What if you had to pay a pilot to travel to the maintenance hangar to fly the helicopter to do the compass checks? The overall cost is about $1,000 and this has to be done every twenty-four months.

Of course, every time I taxi along the taxiway at Bankstown I know the exact compass heading and I can tell if the compass is faulty or not. So the $1,000 is a complete misallocation of money – other than for the maintenance industry who no doubt makes a fortune from it.

It also appears we have a forty-eighth month fuel gauge check.

Neither of these checks is required in the USA for privately registered aircraft.

I would like to hear other comments in relation to this.

Remember – if your aircraft happens to be in Birdsville and it is not concurrent with a one-yearly maintenance check, it could mean flying the aircraft to Adelaide or Longreach to have the check done. Imagine the cost!