PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Speed Trim
Thread: B777 Speed Trim
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2015, 02:46
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late Comment to @haughtney1, But...

Sir,
I will not rant nor rave and my note is another question, not really an opinion...
Oh, yes, I get the SOPs and the 'usual practices' at you line and almost every other. Still, after 5+ years on the 777, with a TC, or not, left seat or right, I would hope that you understand the 777's logic, inside-out, including the 'why is it doing that,' stuff, almost as well as the software engineers do.
The idea that you never turn-off the A/T is perfectly OK if that is SOP, yet someplace I have to wonder, can you cope with one or two or three automation failures, recognize them for what are - or are not and drive that very smart airplane without them?
Again, sir, this is not a skills challenge to you or any other 777 driver (or one who drives the A330, ,a different thinking beast) but, was your training sufficient to thoroughly understand how the beast thinks - and command otherwise, if necessary. In your opinion, do the majority of 777 drivers understand the 777's operating software to a degree sufficient to hand fly it to safe landing if multiple, otherwise automated control functions are compromised? (In the case of the A330 and A320 series, I guess I'd ask the question twice.)
Again, sir, not a criticism! Do any of today's large airplane pilots have the operating systems knowledge to hand-direct, (stick and rudder if I must) the flight of transport jet built after ~~2000?
No flame here and no criticism, but questions to arise. I would like to hear from you and yes, PM is just fine.
On the bright side, a few professionals comment in this space and many monitor. I commend those who continue to learn. Transport-class flying is a challenging profession, or at least it should be. Best wishes...