PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 8th Jan 2015, 00:58
John_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

As a holder of only a VFR PPL, I am finding it interesting following this thread as I am always amazed at the type of weather that commercial airliners are prepared to navigate through. BUT, as we are all taught even in very basic MET theory, CB's can pack a very impressive punch.

Has anyone plotted the course of the aircraft (as we know it) over an overlay of detailed weather at the time of the accident including winds, temperatures, gradients by flight level?

In terms of specific commercial pilot training in terms of flying in CB's, what are the training parameters and recommendations for pilots in airlines today? due to tighter and tighter schedules, how have these parameters changed over the years?

Lastly, with all the traffic in the area, I have not seen any info related to comments from other pilots that flew in the area that day - obviously this will come out during the investigation - but this info could provide some clues onto potentially unusual weather in the CB's in the area at the time.

As this appears to be very much a weather related incident related to CB's, this could simply end up being a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time with an unusual recovery (if it was possible) required for the pilots.