PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 17:19
Mr Mac

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Bagso
I wish it was that simple. Through my company / industry I have worked on many airports world wide, and unfortunately building anything in the UK even none airport 30 floor buildings is fraught with issues that you do not get in other parts of the world. Also I would respectfully point out that many of these "thrown up 30 floor buildings" in the UK are now having substantial issues with them DUE TO OVERZEALOUSE "VALUE ENGINEERING" which would have Brunel spinning in his grave.

I worked on the original Pier C extension on T1 at Manchester and was a consultant on T2 as well as the then BA hangar. Also acted as a consultant on the original rail station airport tube so I know Manchester Airport quite well. It is not an easy place to work in comparison with HK , Almaty, Changhi, DXB or even Frankfurt, but is considerably easier than LHR.
My point is basically if it was Changhi it would have been thought about and planned. At Man it is growth by osmosis and very slow at that. Combine this with the British love of consultation with every known or even unknown person, or Newt, that maybe effected by what you are doing, and you may understand the issues faced.

A good example of the idiocy in this country came to light yesterday on a recently issued HSE document with regards to the use of access platforms near airports. Contractors are now been asked by the HSE to advise the local airport if they are working on a platform that is above 10m. The perimeter advised by HSE is 6KM !!. If I am 6KM away from Manchester airport on a 10m + MEWP and an Ryanair jet goes anywhere near me I THINK HE OR SHE MAY HAVE BIGGER ISSUES ON THEIR HANDS. However this was issued to me yesterday in all seriousness for future UK work. Like living here but boy working here can be hard at times !.

Regards
Mr Mac