PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weak bladder..any suggetions.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 17:08
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I long for the days when I was a young whippersnapper and could drink six pints of real ale without looking for a loo. I could also last for 6 hours in a glider without a problem.

Those days are long gone. Just before I gave up flying I found that my trips in my PA-28 were getting shorter and shorter until Shoreham to Compton Abbas was becoming a bit of a challenge.

I had regular PSA checks but one day blood raised its ugly head. I had a boroscope inspection which told me that I didn't have bladder cancer (good) followed by the news that I didn't have prostate cancer (even better).

However, my prostate was enlarged which is quite normal in ancients like me. This causes pressure on the bladder and the urethra which means that the bladder does not empty completely. This, in turn, provides a perfect breeding ground for stones (that probably started in the kidney) and your bladder then starts to try and get rid of them which causes extreme incontinence (you have no idea how debilitating this can be).

So, after the removal of two stones (around 2 cms across) I am completely back to normal. I can get through the night again but I doubt I shall ever manage to do a 500 kms triangle in a glider before I pop my clogs.

So, my advice to anyone who is finding trouble staying on the bladder ladder, go and see a good urologist sharpish.