PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 7th Jan 2015, 17:06
aeroid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeroid's Funny Loads

I was trawling through some old posts recalling unusual loads and thought that this might ring some old bells.

Early in 1971 I was night stopping Hong Kong from Changi when the Changi Station Commander arrives with a broken Herc. He"asked" if I could swap aircraft with him as his need to return to Changi was greater than mine. Ever mindful of pro(de)motion prospects, Form 1369 (more stars than a bottle of Martel Brandy) Pixie points(running low) I happily agreed. Fifteen - Love.
Now, Turn the clock forward and read on.

Captain Slog, Stardate July1971. Star Colony Changi. The Almighty FEAF instruct me to take Star Truck XV 203 To Star Base Lyneham, its new home.
SCC soon to close so good opportunuity to take home a few domestic items as crew baggage, Camphorwood Chest, Rattan Chairs etc. Blond haired Co-p requests that he take his Ski boat as crew baggage. Agree providing that if Star Colonies at Bahrein and Akrotiri have any freight his boat goes off first. FHC gets lucky and boat arrives at SBL. Loaders at SBL not happy with Ski boat as crew baggage. Soon Very Senior Movements Officer approaches and asks how far to SCC as it will cost us 3p per mile! Eventually peace breaks out... but not for long.

Arrive back at SCC and 48 Squadron Commander says welcome home, you are on a Unit Enquiry.Tell him have not done one before therefore not qualified. Tells me "you are not running it, you are the cause of it!" VSMO has spilt the beans. UE carried out, results passed on to SCC Station Commander. My presence requested. No mention of tea and biccies. Look for best hat, not route one, sphincture goes sixpence, half a crown, dustbin lid. SCCSC asks" How do you want to pay, cash or cheque?" then smiles and goes on to tell me of some of his exploits in Habanya in 19thingy thingy.
Mind goes back to a certain day in Hong Kong. Fifteen - All.

Never worked out how the loaders at SBL missed the box with the engine and fuel tank in it. Now that would have been tricky.