PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 7th Jan 2015, 16:08
Leightman 957

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debris photos

Thanks hoistop. Ref
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post8814500
I can't dispute your credentials but do admit confusion over dissimilarity between debris pic and purported A320 THS horiz jackscrew at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8353822@N02/2108746312/
I can find no others.
Orientation of latter pic apparently is looking upward with light entering via window at lower right.
I'm also uncertain of debris orientation vis your explanation of 130 deg counter clockwise from normal meaning “up” is on left side of pic.

Registration numbers of “EAX” or “FAX” on metal skin (rivets, adjacent panels parted at end), dark characters on white background located on fuselage sides fwd of rear pax door and below windows.
Indonesia AirAsia Airbus A320-200 » Juergen's paint hangar

All three pics at:
AirAsia Flight QZ8501 plane tail confirmed found
suggest tail is separated from main fuselage through or aft of rear pax door, ie at rear pressurization bulkhead which is close to the “Ai” vertical fin script in pic 3.

The apparent rapid descent of QZ8501 raises the question of pressurization effects at impact. I understand there are overpressurization vents; question is their flow capacity and what if any overpressure would remain after a 4 minute descent from FL29, and what additional effects that would have on how the aft airframe might come apart at impact.

I also note BG47's mention a couple posts down that the tail is 30km from what is still the primary search area...and recall that transponder and other data disappeared closer in time to the last pilot transmission than the probable time it would take the AC to descend from FL29, which unfortunately does not decrease the probability of inflight airframe failure.

Other comments regarding fwd component separation of the Vfin a la AF447 of course depend on relative fwd speeds, 447 being faster than AA debris so far suggests. Both may have been fully stalled but AA more horizontal, if intact.

Hoping for observations from others familiar with A320 stabilizer/bulkhead structure.

Last edited by Leightman 957; 7th Jan 2015 at 16:10. Reason: rem margin info