PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 12:29
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes but I did stress the word " Educate " Which maybe should have also referred to the pilot as well.

That means the pilot not allowing a situation to develop to the point that he is desperately lost in low cloud and poor visibility with no game plan other than a wish and a prayer and pulling the chute at a suitable altitude.
in this situation and in a Cirrus aircraft the chute would probably have saved them if used correctly and at the right time.

my own example many years back was used by one poster as an example . the difference was I had a game plan knew the area exceptionally well, knew I could not hit anything with the river below knew the back of the front lay ahead and was as comfortable flying in clouds as out so I was fully comfortable taking to the clouds and the MSA when plan A was not working.
Also the actual and TAFS on departure were for 800 broken and 6K in light rain not what developed for part of the route with clear weather already into my destination.

And that is the point! Never fly without an " out " an alternative plan if A does not work because then you are in the lap of the Gods
its about the pilot always being in control of the situation and his actions its when that control is lost that these tragic accidents happen

I have survived for 40 years as a pilot by not being gung-ho, by following the rules and by passing on the knowledge I have gained to others.

It's not ironic - wish it was - but tragic that someone has succumbed to the very dangers I tried to point out in my Thread.
Spannerinthewerks

How you can post my example from years back as some sort of vindication of your view I don't know! You neither know the cause of this tragic accident or the background to the flight I made. I am very happy you have survived 40 years of flying I am not that far behind you on years of flying but probably 10 times your hours
i always preach fly within your and your aircrafts limits which you obviously do as so do I but don't judge others on your own abilities or views on aviation as they may not be the same as others.

Pilots will legally with a night rating fly a single piston at night! I consider that to be a highly risky occupation as there are no outs no game plan if the donkey goes bang! I do not find that an acceptable risk so don't fly singles at night but I don't dictate my views on others

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Jan 2015 at 15:34.