PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in rough weather
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 11:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thing

Ok I suppose I was making an argument that this 20 mile distance to a CB is a load of rubbish! That is categorising a CB as one thing which it isn't anymore than I would keep my distance far greater from a bad tempered giant bull than a baby bull.
It is important to be able to read a storm cell understand its dynamics and use your eyes as well as radar. Is it a large isolated cell or a tightly packed line of cells
Are they embedded or completely visible?
Are you flying in daylight or pitch darkness? etc
Watch your speed with any Cumulus clouds as piling into a piece of towering cumulus can make you loose your false teeth
And watch icing.
the worst turbulence I ever experienced was in forecast severe turbulence between FL200 and FL300 over the Alps and in clear air.
Going into Nice in the descent I warned the PAX and pulled the speed right back! The air was as smooth as silk to touchdown and the PAX departed with me with a red embarrassed face.
Departing empty on a more northerly SID and climbing through 20K all hell let loose with 45 degree wing drops cupboards flying open, everything fly everywhere.
i asked for an immediate climb to FL320 was amazed to see a solid 2000 fpm plus all the way through FL300 and smooth air
With this jet mid 20s you never saw more than 1000 fpm
Not a CB in sight

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Jan 2015 at 11:18.