PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 10:03
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounded sensible to me is I adopted it and it is a rule that has worked well for me so I am posting it for others to consider as a reasonable practice
The problem with that is that you rule out the requirement of half the GA fleet. I also have a very highly qualified friend, 25000 hrs+, who will not fly single pilot IR. He does however, scud run, and has crashed twice

The issue here is decision making and airmanship. If a pilot sets off, in a machine that is fit for purpose, he has reviewed all conditions, at destination, and on route, and he is suitably qualified, and current for the mission he is about to embark on, then as well as he could, all bases have been covered. Accidents can still happen.

But, to set off with family members, in challenging circumstances, remember they rely on you to ensure their safety, is untenable. The accident in the States, with the surviving 7 year old, is receiving, rightly so, very, very bad publicity. GA can well do without these incidents, life is tough enough, but the press are concentrating on the fact that she walked out in a tee shirt, no shoes, and a pair of shorts.

This wee fella jumped into a Permit aircraft, trusting his Dad, who then took off, into very poor, Metar'd weather, on route, and at destination. Now, he may have had a full IR panel it, but I would doubt it was IR certified. He also had the option to go up, see what it was like, think no way, and return to Bembridge. You makes your choice...