PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R66 type rating course
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 01:55
TOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD 500, B 206 , ,EC120

You can just imagine the scenario, You are keen to get one of the above Ratings. You get a quote for the training (lets just say 5 hours plus test) so based on current UK prices for the above types its going to be around £3500/£3800, then you get told OH BTW ground school costing £1500 as well!! There would be UPROAR!!

Now lets face facts here, its basically a R44 with an ALLISON ENGINE. ( and with respect before anyone starts being specific here I have 10,000+ hours on turbines and I fly the R66) .... £1500 + VAT for 2 days ground school!! is a total RIP OFF...
Bare in mind you are being ripped off by this company now, add that to the value of the R66 when it is time expired in 10 or 12 years time. If the R66 cost approx £550k now, 10/12 years down the line/ time expired, say its worth £100,000 (who knows??) that's a loss of £450k!!.Take into account the massive straight line depreciation over that period, suddenly the R66 does not look nearly as attractive....

OK we all know who the company is, but no one has printed their name. They may be the first or one of the first companies to be approved to carry out EASA Type Conversions on the R66 in the UK, but this fee is just not justified..

They are not the first company to try this. When I done my BELL 407 Rating ALAN MANN charged £1600 CASH for the ground school. There was 1 instructor and 4 Students in a portacabin for 2 days - that was £6400 in total!!.. We were given student packs containing extensive material and notes..But its fair to say the 407 is complex compared to a R66 !!!.
It done ALAN MANN a power of good, look where they are now!!!...