PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University - Aerospace Eng. with Pilot studies
Old 6th Jan 2015, 22:41
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me set the record straight, do an Aerospace Engineering degree if you want to be an Aerospace Engineer.

I wouldn't do an Aerospace Degree for the sake of enhancing your flying career prospects; it generally doesn't make that much of a difference.

appfo9, if you are from the UK then test flying on anything CS25 or multi engine CS23 tends to be the reserve of the ex-military grads who have gone through ETPS. Commercial flight training and an aero degree does not generally lead to test flying. The only test flying I have know to be done by someone from a pure civilian background in the UK is for the single engine LAA type stuff.

Mcfly87, properly accredited engineering degrees contain heavy maths and physics content, that is what an Engineering degree is. That is the type of degree that would allow you to go into the design / analysis side of Engineering. If you have the chance to do a proper Engineering degree combined with the flight training with no additional expense it sounds like a good option. A lot of the combined degrees with flight training tend to be based on aviation management for the degree content, so to hear of one that actually has a proper academic content is quite refreshing.

If you want something more practical do an HND go work in a hangar and work towards your Aircraft Maintenance licences.

Mcfly, your post to me suggest you understand very little about the aerospace engineering industry.