PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post PPL confidence
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 21:18
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the club!

The single best thing I have done since getting my PPL was joining a group and buddying up with someone at a similar experience level to share flights with.

Usually we select a land-away destination, one of us flies outbound and we swap over for the return leg. If the WX is iffy we will each do a short local flight or circuits, returning to base to switch over. We fly separately from time to time either with passengers or solo but undertake the majority of our flights together.

The two of us also make short work of pre and post flight prep. One can order fuel, do a walkround etc. while the other checks notams for the route, calls the destination for PPR etc.

You will find this really expands your horizons. For the same one hour flying time a lot more interesting destinations come within range. As others have said currency is vital and a typical PPL budget of (say) 2 hours per month is quite restrictive. Flying solo, by the time you've started up, done your checks and a couple of circuits to get back into the swing of things 40 mins will have elapsed. A lot of new PPLs never really venture beyond their local area for this reason and their confidence takes a knock as a result. Sadly this causes a significant number to give up flying soon after qualifying. Visiting destinations further afield is challenging, adds variety and keeps the interest alive.

I've also been surprised how much I've enjoyed the "pilot not flying" legs. You get the experience of observing someone else in the hot seat and can assist with lookout, setting squawk codes etc. Plus flying as a passenger is great. You actually get a chance to sit back and admire the view!

The only thing I would say is make sure you buddy with someone around your experience level. There is a danger that if you fly with someone more experienced you will instinctively assume an instructor/student type relationship. You need to build your command skills in your first post ppl hours. It also goes without saying you are trusting your life to the person you fly with, so choose wisely!

Happy landings.