PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spreading out ATPL exams
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 18:10
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Also and more importantly I loose count of the conversations I have with students about to run out of time and or sittings - it does happen FREQUENTLY, some students taking 2 or 3 cycles. This is usually caused by underestimating the work/time required, too many external distractions, unexpected change of personal circumstances and sometimes lack of ability."

Quite right. I have recently started ATPLs again after my previous exams expired. Some personal issues got in the way and as a result my previous passes (9 of 14) now have to be resit which smarts a bit at £69 per subject.

It could be worse - and this story really highlights the importance of remembering the deadlines. A good friend of mine recently had his ATPL exams "time out" when he had virtually completed his IR practical training. Realising the deadline was near he rushed to take his skills test before he was ready - against his instructor's advice. Predictably enough he failed the test and his exams expired a couple of days later.

All 14 exams now need to be resit and the £15k he spent on his IR first time round will need to be spent again to get back to test standard. Ouch!