PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Pickup
Thread: IFR Pickup
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2003, 20:24
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airsupport - Thanks again. I'm trying not to get too involved in the US system. Their infrastructure is so different to ours I find it hard to make a connection. When I saw what they do around the busy hubs, and they do it brilliantly, it was obvious some smart minds were at work setting it up. Some other things seemed not so great.

YMML - Thanks
This is more like what I'm getting at. Those flights you mentioned may not conflict en-route, unless one of you want to climb/ descend thru the other. You currently might cook up your own form of separation to achieve this.
With non radar E airspace, some newbie centre controller will be in control, (perhaps in a building 1000nm away) and will have to apply positive separation standards, some of which can be very restrictive.
If you taxi at one of the airports that have E corridors, and there is inbound IFR traffic, and you can't depart in VMC, I guess you'll have to stay on the ground.
Perhaps it's VMC if you can depart in a certain direction, but you'll have to be sure you can remain in VMC. The LSALT becomes an additional factor. Once you're off track things become complicated for the centre controller.
To me a simple pilot to pilot situation has been turned into a long-winded, complex and restrictive process.
The locations I mentioned are two I'm familiar with, but perhaps somewhere like Yulara might be affected the same way. There must be many others.
Even radar covered areas will have some problems - like will centre be able to vector in narrow corridors?
Food for thought or meanless musings?
And it's not even my area of influence!!!!

CG

For meanless please read meaningless