PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No wheels on my wagon !!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 16:24
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Quote:
Can someone explain that to me? I understand that brakes stay hot for quite a while, especially after a high energy event like a rejected takoff, but they get hottest 10-15 minutes after application? I'm not trolling, just an honest physics question. Here is a Boeing presentation on brake energy, the 10-15 minutes for brake temps to peak is mentioned on page 54:

Brake Energy Consideration In Flight Operation

The 10-15 minutes is also cited in the quick turn charts on the Boeings I've flown.

I guess as FGK said, it takes that much time for the heat generated in braking to make it to the sensor. Decades ago Bob Hoover used to do an F-86 demo including a short field landing. He'd hop out of the plane and put his hand on the brakes to show that they were not hot. He later admitted that this was showmanship, a few minutes later the brakes would be way too hot to touch as the heat made it to the outside of the wheels.
Thank you for the link, good read. I now understand it may be a combination of heat sink/transfer for other parts to heat up, and a lag time for the sensor to reach max reading. So the fine nuiance between "brake temps to peak" and "brake temp reading to peak" had me confused.

I'm used to seeing the rotors on high performance race cars (carbon fibre especially) heat up red/white hot under braking then dissapate heat very quickly, but other parts may remain very hot.