PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORSAIR Vs JAGUAR
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 14:29
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE: Perhaps the answer lies in the two aircraft's longevity in service wth their primary users. The Jaguar flew in front line service for the UK and France till 2007, 16 years after the Corsair had been retired. To me, that says a lot.

I don't think that is the answer. In just talking about primary users (US Navy for the A-7, and RAF/French for the Jaguar) the dates may be interesting but do not tell the whole story.
Agreed. Longevity is but one data point and it depends on lots of factors, including political/economic ones.

The whole business of directly comparing two aircraft to determine which is "better" is pretty much pointless anyway. Better at what and for whom using what tactics in what environment? Case in point is the MiG-21 vs F-4 thread. The Mig was a great aircraft, for what it was designed to do for the people who operated it in the environments in which it was operated using Soviet tactics. The F-4 was a great aircraft for what it was designed to do for the USN operating from carriers, using USN tactics. The fact that USAF and several other Air Forces operated it in very different environments using different tactics and for a wide variety of missions it was never designed for says much about the "greatness" of the aircraft, but says nothing about whether it is "better" than a Mig. As I've said multiple times in the KC-46 vs A330MRTT and C-17 vs A400 threads, "better" is completely in the eye of the beholder. Is a fillet knife "better" than a steak knife? Is a two seat sports car "better" than a 4x4 SUV? Is a semi auto pistol "better" than a revolver? It all depends on the eye of the beholder.