PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Pay
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 12:52
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI pay

Few schools except the big ones make enough money. When you do the Cash-flow you can see that it is hard, if not impossible for a flying school/club to make any serious lolly.

£15 quid an hour is not bad pay. The more you fly the more money you earn. It is a hard job. Not to teach but to patter for hours on end and is still worth £15 quid an hour (or more).

To say negotiate for more pay is not always realistic when talking about a nice grassy airfield out in the bundu but the bigger schools may well have higher pay rates as their traffic is higher and therefore so is their turnover - admittedly this will increase their running costs but if you have several aircraft flying then these are offset by the other aircraft flying too which also takes care of the fixed costs so you have more aircraft, flying often or always in the larger establishments/operations - if you get what I mean - and there you may well be able to negotiate a more favorable rate for your labours - but then again the bigger schools will have a larger pool of available instructors and applicants to choose from, so don`t negotiate your way out of a job.

Again, as far as the little clubs are concerned - you will be lucky to even get paid at all.
I am not advocating flying for free but a number of schools are now flying "volunteers" which makes me sick in the stomach and I hope they go out of business as everyone has to eat - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. (the baskets)