PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please, someone in Perth gaffa-tape GT!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 07:16
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allthecoolnamesarego,

You and one other in this thread have let slip that you feel GT is somehow "one of us", or is "representing" us. You said:

He purports to speak on 'our behalf' ...
I don't see how you can say that. He is not one of us, and does not represent us. He does not speak "on our behalf".

Perhaps if you could recognise this, you wouldn't be so bothered by his statements and appearances?

GT the writer comes across very differently to GT the TV "aviation expert". This would be entirely due to the different constraints between these two forms of media.

GT the TV personality is entirely the creation of the media. He is exactly how his media masters want him to be. We know this because they continue to ask him to appear.

For the TV appearances, you must remember that entertainment is first and foremost. Factual accuracy comes second. The TV stations just want somebody that sounds like they know what they are talking about and can explain, in everyday speak, why planes crash. GT carries this off perfectly.

If the above comes as a surprise to you, then you don't understand the nature of commercial media to the extent that you claim.

If GT was hit by a bus tomorrow, the media would soon find someone else, but they would sound exactly like GT. Your gripe should not be with GT, but with the producers of the TV shows frequented by GT. But if you were to complain to them, they would just say they were "giving the audience what it wanted"!

About that "wreckage" that GT described as "absolutely" coming from an aircraft. On the question of knowing whether something was true or not, you said:

He would know what was true or not ...
Really? Nobody else in this world has that power. Why would you expect him to?

You also said:
I'm pretty sure that when that debris was classified as general Flotsam, he was proven wrong.
So they recovered ALL the debris that was seen by the satellites did they? I think you will find that only a tiny, tiny percentage was recovered.

P51D, FGD135 and FoxtrotAlpha18 = GT?
I am not GT. I have also been accused of being Geoff Dixon (former Qantas CEO) at one time!