PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Service Personnel Excel
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 06:08
5 Forward 6 Back

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My list of what one is less likely to experience with ex-service people is long but here's a few;

1. Clock watching.
2. Marking time.
3. Turning up but not contributing
4. Avoiding issues
5. Passing the buck
6. Dissent and internal disturbance
rmac,

I'll give you 6; other than a few grumbles I haven't really seen much in the way of internal disturbance in my career. But the others are unfortunately alive and well in a lot of military personnel!

In terms of clock watching, we've all been on a squadron where face time was the order of the day. I've seen units that work people to the bone, and when not required to fly or carry out additional duties, there was still a blanket "be in 0800-1700" rule. Modern businesses are finding out in their droves that this isn't an effective way to manage people. Your capable worker who can pour out staff work at 70 words per minute just starts to resent it; being graded and measured by time in work, rather than work produced! Cue lots of clock watching.

4 and 5 are absolutely rife nowadays. With the degree of competitiveness for decent flying jobs and/or promotion, I find myself working with lots of people who are terrified of making a mistake or being seen to make one.

People are right that the decisiveness and drive you need to do well in the military will serve you well outside. If you're trained to make near-instant, life or death decisions as an aviator, well, that always sounds good at an interview! There's a lot of dross still in, though, in some places; and the sad thing is it's them who tend to stay in...!