PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands defence review after military deal between Russia and Argentina
Old 6th Jan 2015, 01:38
CAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When news like this one make the headlines and discussions such as this one fire up, I wonder if the standar british reader knows that Argentina has 2/3 of UK´s population, 1/4 of its GDP and that given that GDP as a whole, it spends roughly 1/3 of what the british taxpayers commit to their armed forces.

For the FY 2010-2011, the total expenditure on the BFFI reached something like £75 million, according to this: http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rc...,d.eXY&cad=rja

Could anyone seriously think that a country that considers £2000 million to be a reasonably high figure for their Armed Forces to spend throughout a whole 12-month-year is really a threat to the islanders?

The answer, my friends, my answer at least, is not blowing in the wind, but written in the press:

Cameron: Defence Spending Could be Cut | Forces TV

To settle it straight: rumors of defense-spending cuts? Oh, well... just shake the money -maker and write a few bombastic titles on the south-atlantic islands...

Cheers.
Christian