PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 5th Jan 2015, 19:07
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62,

A Loadie I might take issue with, his wife never !!

A quick story on prop parking. I am reliably informed that at Lyneham in the late seventies two ground servicing entities existed ALSS and BLSS. ALSS parked their props in a cruciform pattern, No1 blade at the top. BLSS, always wanting to emphasise the difference between them and their ALSS brethren, parked their props "the Cosford way"! A newly arrived OC Eng Wing looked from his office one morning then asked his deputies why the mixed parking looked such a mess with the props "higgledy piggledy" (it wouldn't have looked so bad if the aircraft of A & B LSS had been parked adjacent to each other)? On explaining "Le difference" between A & B he ordered that he had no care for that, but, all propellers should be parked in a standard way, so as to make the ASP look more uniform. As OC ALSS was the senior Squadron Leader, the ALSS method prevailed at Lyneham, and certainly did when I was posted to ALSS around 1986. Despite my, and others reasoning, of why the No1 blade should be parked at TDC, it appears that it came down to seniority in rank, as a choice, at Lyneham.

Dougie M, Only 50 beer mugs, that will have taken a few minutes then

Teej. Some good stuff on that short vid, the marching at Swinderby gave me a few shudders though! Even though I was a Halton Brat.

I'm away for a couple of weeks guys, I may have a little access to the interweb, but keep putting the pictures and stories up, it matters.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 5th Jan 2015 at 22:46. Reason: Notice of absence (leave request) !!!!!!!!