PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University - Aerospace Eng. with Pilot studies
Old 5th Jan 2015, 17:56
mcfly87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

thank you all for your replies.

appfo09 - to make you feel better, we are in the same age. I already hold an M.Sc degree in Architectural Engineering. Unfortunately.. I just hate to be an architect and same as you, would like to go back in time and start it all differently.

The thing is that during the studies I started flying, at first on gliders only, after some time I did PPL(A) as well. At the moment I have 350h on gliders and 50h on single engine planes. I am also glider FI.FI and hold ICAO level 5.

I know that to be a pilot you basically do not need any degree. In my opinion though having aerospace engineering diploma gives you the best background for this industry. It also opens you many more doors when it comes to employment possibilities. You can become flight test engineer or even test pilot one day.

Where I live we have 3 Universities that offer this degree and also - if you are good and lucky enough - all of the licenses and ratings for FREE to CPL level (including ME, IR, ATPL(fr) etc. with 200-250 h TT). Enrollment for pilot specialization takes place after third semester, you just need to have some flying experience (at least PPL(A)) and good marks.

This may sound crazy but I am not sure whether going there is a good choice. It is simply because I know many people that chose this route and are currently unemployed. Their opinion about the programs clearly show that engineering side was quite "old fashioned" there. Forget about modern technologies, it is all mainly pure and solid maths and physics without any relation to real world. So at the end we have guys with "theoretically" engineering degree that for most of the positions is useless (as they do not have a proper knowledge) and low hours which does not allow them to even think about an airline job.

That is why I started to wonder whether it would be wiser to spend some money for more valuable, foreign University. Of course it costs a lot comparing to my examples here but perhaps it just would more prospective decision. What do you think?

Cheers