PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus shock
Thread: Airbus shock
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2003, 16:53
Airbus Unplugged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Most of the myths and legends about the ‘Scarebus’ are just that – myths. They are usually spread around by those who either don’t understand the machine, or find their monopoly on selling airliners under threat. If flown according to the recommended techniques, the aeroplane is very straightforward to operate, and frees up considerable extra capacity to manage the flight effectively. By the use of advanced flight control software, the use of GS mini and alpha protection, it has been certified to 1.23 Vs allowing flexible approaches in all weathers and wind conditions.

There is still psychosematic feedback, and you can still feel trim changes on flap selections etc. The sidestick concept is readily embraced by fighter pilots, and once you've eaten your lunch unencumbered by the yoke you'll never look back. Apart from anything else, the controls on a conventional aeroplane have 'artificial feel' to restore some of the feedback lost by the use of power controls. I've had an aileron jam in a 767 before, you have to lose a lot of redundancy in an Airbus before you lose roll control - think of that!

Having said that, any fool can crash an aeroplane, and it simply won’t wash to blame the manufacturers. It is simply a system that has protocols and methods, which by virtue of your command you have accepted your responsibility to know inside out. I flew Boeings for many years, and didn’t find the transition that difficult. If you fly a descent and approach properly in the 767, the thrust levers shouldn’t move till 1000’ anyway, they should be at idle!!

If I could change anything at all in the Airbus, I would have Normal Law wash out at 50’ during the flare to enhance roll control but that’s it.